Wednesday, 16 February 2011

What's in a name?

What is Epiphany, what does it mean?

I remember I liked the word the first time I heard it, which was as a young child in church. In Christianity, Epiphany is a celebration or season of the church year, depending on which tradition you’re looking at.

In more general terms it means a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into reality or the essential meaning of something, often initiated by some simple, commonplace occurrence – i.e. a flash of insight. That’s the meaning I came to understand at a much older age and that’s the meaning it has for me here.

The realization that I need to (not just wanted to) get back onto an artistic path was an epiphany to me and I was very happy about it!

So why the name Epiphany London?

When I moved to the UK I knew I wanted to continue my art journey in some way. So I had to learn some things about the ropes of the education system here, including adult education courses. Also I had to get information about the whole scope of what’s available and how to access what I was looking for. In doing that, I’ve had various courses at a number of places – all have been interesting. There’s *so much* variety available here! Also the standard of work people do within their various interests is very good. So London is a great place to pursue further education of art/craft and it’s just a matter of finding your path and the course or programme that fits for you.

So in the midst of all that came the time to choose a name I would work under for my art. I considered a few but came back to the basic reasons why I liked Epiphany. The London part wasn’t as obvious to me – ok I’m living here but I don’t necessarily want a name tied to a place. However there’s so much great art and design here. And even though it’s England and the United Kingdom, London is also such a diverse and unique place of its own. So put the two words together and I like the sound of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment